Train the Trainer
There is an increasing number of companies that utilize internal resources, like their managers and their best specialists, to train their employees. These are the people who have the best knowledge about the company’s style and corporate standards and are familiar with the specific services and products provided by the company. But, it may not always be the best specialist in a particular field who has the ability to pass this knowledge and skills on to others.
One of the main goals of adult training is to achieve changes in behaviour and actions. What motivates people to change something? How do you get people to take part in training and to also actively think and develop their experience? How should training content be developed in the best way, commensurate with specific needs and the particular audience? This is what the course is about.
The Train the Trainer course is a solid, valuable and vitally necessary course for anyone who works in adult training, especially those, who not only share their knowledge but train their colleagues’ skills and develop their attitudes. By attending this course, you will learn diverse and creative methods, in a concentrated way, gain greater confidence and increase your professionalism!
Target audience: Company internal trainers (with or without prior knowledge).
The aim of the course: To provide knowledge and practical skills in the preparation and presentation of effective adult learning.
- An understanding of the main basic principles of adult learning
- Learning the most important training group presentation and moderating skills
- A specific structure for developing your training plan/course
- Practical knowledge of the basic principles of training content design
- Learning diverse trainer communication strategies for working with groups
- Better skills in working with a complex group
- The ability to improvise and greater confidence in oneself
- Enthusiasm, inspiration and excitement!
Duration: 3 days, 18 hours.
Lectures, discussions, practical assignments and independent work. Theory will be tested during the course and introduced into practice and tasks to be undertaken so that participants can use the learned method immediately for creating their own training courses and planning training.
1. Andragogy – adult learning:
What is Andragogy? What distinguishes adult learning from children’s learning? What is studying and what is learning? The aim of adult learning.
2. Adult learning principles:
If the presenter understands how to incorporate these principles into the training process, then there is a guarantee that participants will take part actively, responsibly and effectively. Observation of these principles ensures mutual respect and trust between the presenter and the participants. This is also an important foundation for adults in the specific training to make the decision to think actively and absorb the experience.
3. 8 skills of the trainer:
- Provide the goal and clear tasks
- To evaluate and respect the knowledge, skills and experience of participants
- Provide easy-to-understand explanations, references and instructions
- Provide suitable examples
- Create content so that participants have a balance between speaking and doing
- Ensure learning through questions and observations
- Provide feedback in a constructive way
- Create an effective conclusion
Each of these skills is based on specific methods and knowledge. Participants try out this methodology during the course as training participants, and also analyse it as presenters.
4. Development of the training plan (activities or module):
A specific structure is provided in the training. Using this as a basis, an effective training plan can be developed, which incorporates careful analysis, adaptation and the planning of all stages. The specific training plan assists in gaining a deeper and more substantial understanding of the basics of adult learning. Such a unified training plan means that any trainer at any company can present a specific module, as all of them have a clear unified standard.
1. Design of the training content. Sequential content and grouping principles:
- The inclusion of various skills in the training
- What is remembered best from training
- Sequence (logical connections)
- Two-way communication
- Exercises and activities
These principles ensure more accurate and more effective ordering and creation of content.
2. Trainer presentation skills – eye contact, stance, moving about, gestures, appearance, facial expressions, voice, intonation and language level.
3. Group dynamics and presentation. How do you work with a complex group? What are the risks in presenting training? How do you work with them? What can you avert in advance and how?
4. Training methods. Which methods are the most effective for the specific content and why? How should the methods be selected and adapted correctly?
Practice, practice, practice!
Participants demonstrate their homework, i.e. the module that they have selected and prepared (15 min presentation). At the core of the presentation is a training plan with the selected goal and training assignments. The participant’s task is to implement all the knowledge and skills learned in the course and to achieve the set challenges.
The presenters receive constructive feedback from the lecturer and other training participants. The performance is improved through analysis and recommendations. The participants also learn by observing and analysing the performances of their colleagues, in this way, gaining new ideas, adding to their knowledge and consolidating their skill in providing constructive feedback.
Venue: TRIVIUMS training centre, Blaumaņa 11/13 - 12, IV, Riga
Participation fees include handouts, coffee breaks and lunch.
For company training, the programme can be adapted to the specifics and needs of the company.
What did you like best at this seminar?
- I like working with Skaidrīte: interesting, fun, valuable and at a very high level! Thanks!!!
- THANKS for the great training - Skaidrīte inspires, she motivates you in the training and the skills can be applied immediately!
- Huge thanks for such useful and interesting training! The best training that I have participated in and I’d gladly take part again.